Seven Ways to Build Your Teams for the New Normal
1) Understand the New Normal
If your organization is waiting for things to return to normal, you are not going to be positioned for the future. If you want your company to thrive, you must facilitate innovation and collaboration among your teams, regardless of where people are geographically located.
This is not the time to pine for the past. You must charge ahead into the future.
2) Emphasize the Importance of Continued Creativity and Innovation
Companies that survived the pandemic had to be innovative to remain relevant to their core audience. Those that thrived put everything on the proverbial chopping block in order to remain relevant and reach existing and potential customers.
Regardless of where your organization is on this spectrum, this is not the time to relax and get comfortable.
Companies that thrive now and into the future will be those that facilitate creative thinking from all their teams.
3) Break Down Communication Silos
You have no time for siloed communication in today’s rapidly changing landscape. You need your teams to be integrated and working together to remain innovative and agile if you’re going to grow. If there are leadership silos, communication grinds to a halt, and creativity is stifled.
Silos have always been an enemy of your teams and organization, but in the new normal where we may not be in the same room with our people, you have to make efforts to facilitate quality communication.
4) Support Your Virtual and Hybrid Teams
We wrote about this more thoroughly in a previous article. Hybrid and virtual work is not going away. Companies that thrive in the future will be those that support their virtual and hybrid teams. Some principles of supporting your virtual and hybrid teams include:
- Making sure virtual and hybrid team members feel supported.
- Normalize working outside of the office.
- Make sure expectations are clear for hybrid and virtual teams, and you have a process for feedback to stay aligned.
- Be careful not to favor in-person workers for projects and promotions.
- Use your hybrid and virtual workflow to retain and recruit team members.
- Schedule a team assimilation exercise to help your team share their feedback on tools and resources they need, processes they would find helpful, and communications that would help them stay informed and aligned.
5) Be Aware of the Zoom-Town Effect
With so many careers becoming fully remote, people can choose where they live based on factors other than the location of a company’s offices.
Even in the midst of the pandemic, real estate never slowed down in places like Raleigh, Asheville, Denver, Atlanta, Charlotte, and many small towns with desirable amenities.
According to the BBC, "One in 20 US adults have moved in response to Covid-19, with those younger than 30 most likely to have made the change."
People are choosing to live in different areas for factors such as:
- Availability of affordable property
- Access to amenities they enjoy like hiking, mountain biking, shopping, etc.
- Proximity to friends and family
- The desired pace of life
- Cost of living
If it is at all possible, your organization can explore facilitating team members moving to zoom towns. This can help avoid losing some of your best people and allow you to recruit new talent.
6) Use Virtual and Hybrid Work as Incentives and Recruitment
You will recruit and retain good team members by demonstrating your trust in their work.
If you can, offering hybrid and virtual work options will help demonstrate you value and trust your team. While the last year and a half has certainly been stressful, it helped many individuals and families realize they want to spend more time with people who matter most to them. They enjoyed trading the hours they would be commuting for more quality time with their families.
The companies that can provide flexibility for when and where work can be done are poised to thrive in the new normal.
7) Working with a Trusted Partner
Everything has changed so rapidly; your leadership may have hardly had a moment to reflect on how to move forward.
Adding the perspective of a qualified third-party consultant can help you uncover blind spots and determine how you can be best positioned to thrive in the new normal.
TEAMES & CO | Trusted Advisors for the New Normal
TEAMES & CO has been helping companies develop strategies to empower their virtual and hybrid teams to achieve ambitious goals in a changing market. If you want to make sure your organization is agile and able to respond in an ever-changing world, we are here to help. Contact TEAMES & CO for more information about how we can help.